Type: Full-time, one-year employment contract (renewal possible).
Location: Anywhere. LMA/LMF and all affiliates are virtual organizations. You need reliable internet access and a commercial airport nearby for occasional travel, once conditions allow.
Starting: January 2022.
Reports to: Managing Director, Word in Black.
Compensation: $55,000/year plus a competitive benefits package including choice of health plans, 401(k), technology stipend and generous PTO. This is a one-year employment contract that may be renewed depending on funding.
Job Summary: We seek a skilled writer, editor, and curator with experience in digital publishing and strong knowledge of the Black community and racial inequities to lead the production of Word In Black newsletters and packaging of content for social feeds. The Digital Editor is responsible for authoring and gathering materials from Word In Black publishers and related stakeholders, as well as generating story ideas and fostering growth in newsletter subscriptions and engagement. The role will also work with affiliated service providers to ensure timely production and a good overall subscriber experience.
Essence of the job:
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Gather, curate, and solicit information and materials from the publishers and related stakeholders.
- Coordinate and produce email-ready copy of the newsletter product, to be reviewed and approved by the Managing Director on deadline.
- Generate ideas for stories, on a range of topics, which would be suitable across the collaborative
- Collaborate with Managing Director to generate original and engaging ways of engaging audiences with newsletter content
- Publish a minimum of 2-3 daily newsletters by Spring of 2022
- Write 1-2 stories a week for Word In Black to be included as a part of the newsletter
- Update website home page and other verticals
- Oversee social media strategy and maintain publishing schedule across all main Facebook, Twitter, Instagram feed, and Stories accounts
- Coordinate with email and subscription service providers on all email content, marketing, and strategies
- Manage all editorial calendars and ensure timely publication
- Monitor and report on metrics and audience engagement
Ideal candidate must have:
- A track record of working remotely and a demonstrated ability to think creatively and entrepreneurially in order to excel and achieve goals
- Experience working with and reporting on the Black community
- Excellent interpersonal skills, solid editorial judgment, and the ability to write quickly and cleanly
- Sharp digital instincts and fresh ideas about newsletter audience growth, content creation, and social media
- Knowledge of photo editing and Canva is a plus
- A bachelor’s degree or comparable experience is required. A degree in journalism is a plus.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It probably won’t work out if:
- You are not a team player.
- You don’t share the belief that a strong, independent, Black-owned press is vital to a healthy democracy.
Want to be considered? Send a résumé and cover letter explaining why you’re ideal for this role to: email@example.com.
Deadline: The deadline to apply is Monday, January 24, 2022, but we will review applicants on a rolling basis.
About Word In Black
Word In Black is a groundbreaking digital startup backed by 10 of the nation’s leading Black-owned publishers, and managed by the Local Media Foundation. This collaborative seeks to confront inequities, elevate solutions and amplify the Black experience with a solutions journalism approach.
About Local Media Association / Local Media Foundation
Local Media Association brings all media together to share, network, collaborate and more. More than 3,000 newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, digital-only publications, and research and development partners engage with LMA as members or constituents of our programs. As a 501(c)(6) trade association, LMA is focused on the business side of local media. Its programs and labs focus on revenue growth and new business models. LMA helps local media companies develop their strategies via cutting-edge programs, conferences, webinars, research and training.
Local Media Foundation serves as the innovation and transformation affiliate of LMA. Incorporating our four strategic pillars — business transformation, journalism funded by philanthropy, industry collaboration, and sustainability for publishers of color — LMF helps provide local media companies the strategies and resources for meaningful innovation and impactful journalism projects.