Job title: Director of Sales, Marketing and Fundraising — Word In Black
Job type/level: Full-time, one-year employment contract, director/senior director level.
Reports to: The Director of Sales, Marketing and Fundraising reports to LMA’s Chief Content and Collaboration Officer.
Location: Anywhere. LMA is a virtual organization. You must have access to high-speed internet and attend daily video meetings in a professional setting.
Starting: January 2022.
Compensation: We offer a competitive package that includes a base salary of $70,000 plus incentive, plus full benefits including health insurance, 401(k) plan and technology stipend. This is a one-year employment contract that may be renewed depending on funding.
Essence of the job:
From the outset, most of the Director’s efforts will focus on these responsibilities:
- Act as the development and sales lead for Word in Black by securing and sourcing public, charitable foundations, and philanthropic funders and project-manage all funder deliverables and commitments.
- Lead networking, fundraising, and development efforts.
- Participate in collaborative events that elevate the conversation around revenue opportunities.
- Lead and manage revenue and sales discussions with WIB publishers and our partners.
- Contribute to Word In Black daily and weekly editorial products like articles, web posts, newsletters, podcasts, and events as requested.
- Communicate with stakeholders through the delivery of campaign proposals, reports, analytics, and make appropriate recommendations accordingly.
- Manage all related social media, marketing communications, relationship building, and public relations activities.
Characteristics we seek:
- A person who has had extensive experience leading, managing, and guiding revenue strategies including advertising, sponsorships, branded content, events, reader revenue and philanthropic fundraising.
- Someone who is exceptionally collaborative and can manage multiple projects, and stakeholders, across a spectrum of diverse engagements, experiences, and perspectives.
It probably won’t work out if:
- You are not a team player.
- You have limited experience leading revenue and sales efforts.
- You don’t share the belief that a strong, independent, Black-owned press is vital to a healthy democracy.
Want to be considered? Send a résumé and cover letter explaining why you’re ideal for this role to: email@example.com. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: The deadline to apply is Monday, January 24, 2022, but we will review applicants on a rolling basis.
About Word in Black
Word in Black is a groundbreaking digital startup backed by 10 of the nation’s leading Black-owned publishers, and managed by the Local Media Foundation. This collaborative seeks to confront inequities, elevate solutions and amplify the Black experience with a solutions journalism approach.
About Local Media Association / Local Media Foundation
Local Media Association brings all media together to share, network, collaborate and more. More than 3,000 newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, digital-only publications, and research and development partners engage with LMA as members or constituents of our programs. As a 501(c)(6) trade association, LMA is focused on the business side of local media. Its programs and labs focus on revenue growth and new business models. LMA helps local media companies develop their strategies via cutting-edge programs, conferences, webinars, research and training.
Local Media Foundation serves as the innovation and transformation affiliate of LMA. Incorporating our four strategic pillars — business transformation, journalism funded by philanthropy, industry collaboration, and sustainability for publishers of color — LMF helps provide local media companies the strategies and resources for meaningful innovation and impactful journalism projects.