Invest in Word In Black’s mission to confront inequities, elevate solutions, and amplify the Black experience.
Why support Word In Black?
We’re a groundbreaking collaboration of the nation’s leading Black news publishers.
We rely on financial support from the public, charitable foundations, and philanthropists. Your support powers journalism that:
- Confronts inequities
- Elevates solutions
- Amplifies the Black experience
- Shares stories about real people in communities across our country
We believe that by joining forces and providing a platform to examine these experiences in one place, we can shape how the nation understands and addresses systemic issues of race, justice, and equity.
An monthly donation of $25 can:
- Fund an on-the-ground report from the frontlines of the fight for equity
- Pay for Freedom of Information Act requests that reveal government secrecy
- Provide vital safety equipment that protect our reporters covering protests
- Fund outreach and convenings that power solutions to the greatest problems confronting American society
Word In Black was founded on June 7, 2021. In the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd, 10 of the nation’s leading Black publishers — including AFRO News, The Atlanta Voice, Dallas Weekly, Houston Defender, Michigan Chronicle, New York Amsterdam News, Sacramento Observer, Seattle Medium, St. Louis American, and Washington Informer — came together to launch a news collaborative unlike any other in the industry.
We have a bold vision: to be the most trusted news and information source for, about, and by Black people. However, we invite everyone invested in Black people’s futures — whether you’re Black or not — to join us on this journey and make this work possible.
If you’re committed to racial justice and interested in reporting that amplifies the stories, voices, and perspectives of Black America, consider making a donation. Any donation amount can help ensure the future of the Black press.